Friday, November 11, 2016

A hospital report--and the news


I am a modern political essayist. That means two things: I need a computer to write. I need a computer to follow the news.

Of course, that's not entirely true. But when you get accustomed to the power and convenience of a computer, you do get addicted to it. All that access capability! All that speed!


Last week, that changed. Something terrible happened. My computer stopped working. In a word, it became ill. 

I took it to a local computer hospital. The computer doctor told me it needed an operation.

He told me not to worry. He was very reassuring. He told me the operation would only last a day.

He was wrong. The operation lasted 9 days. 

My computer has finally been released from the hospital. I was very happy about that. But I had to go pick it up. Apparently, it was too weak to walk on its own.

So far, it looks good. But I think it now walks with a limp. In a universe where speed counts, that limp worries me.

The computer doctor told me not to worry. He said everything will be fine. 

When I asked for details, he said I could pay him with cash or credit card. He prefers cash.

Should I worry about that answer?

I haven't had my computer since the afternoon of November 2nd. Things have been pretty calm around here in Israel's desert, so I assume the world has moved on without incident. I expect the world hasn't really changed all that much since November 2, 2016.

For example, I assume there's been no real change in America. I assume  Clinton won the presidency. I assume that that Obama's policies will continue under a new Hilary Clinton presidency. I assume her supporters are dancing in the streets.

I assume the pollsters and the media are also celebrating. They treated Trump like a great loser-loser. Clinton was bulletproof so far as they were concerned. Clinton did win big, didn't she?

Oh, and let's not forget those Chicago Cubs. They're no different than Trump, right? They're losers. They still haven't won a World Series. Right? 

Well, that's my hospital report. I've got my computer back. Now, I'll go check the news. 

No comments:

Post a Comment