Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Computer update


Well, it's been almost three weeks since my computer began to freeze up. I've been looking for help, but haven't found anyone I feel comfortable with, to have them work on this machine. 

Even when I find repairmen who speak English, I find their personalities a bit too 'quirky'  for my taste. I feel reluctant to trust my machine to them. When I speak to them, their responses to my questions don't leave me with much confidence in them. 

The man I did trust to work on my machine is no longer available. He went out of business in late October, 2017. 

 Absent any good choices, I've started that most dangerous of journeys--fixing this thing myself. This is a pretty dangerous decision because, in my humble opinion, I know nothing--literally--about fixing computer problems.

So far, I've been lucky. I've discovered that a Windows 10 update--one of which completed at about the time my 'freezing' problems began--can cause a PC to freeze up. I have tried to execute a fix for this 'freezing' problem--per a Windows-oriented fix-it website. But as I began this effort, I discovered an interesting issue: you must first open your Windows in order to complete the 'fix' for this Windows problem. This is an interesting issue for me because when my machine freezes, I can't open my Windows.  

One of the websites I went to said that this is, indeed, a nasty problem for anyone trying to self-fix a Windows-update problem. When your Windows won't open, you can 't fix anything related to Windows.

Wonderful.

It took me the better part of a week to figure out how to get my Windows to open when the computer was frozen. Don't ask me how I did that. I just kept trying trial-and-error. Every one of my trials was an error--except, of course, the last one.   

Since then, I've been able to follow a prescribed 'fix' each time the computer freezes, though I can only do a modified 'fix' because I can't find all of the listed 'prompts'. This means that, after  completing my 'fix', I can use the computer. But only for short periods of time.  

Obviously, this isn't a true 'fix'. But it is progress.

I'm working on a couple of new ideas. Yes, I might be the blind man about to blow up his computer while he thinks he's actually making progress. But then, well, who knows. I might get lucky.

Maybe I can even publish an essay or two this week.

We'll see.

Thanks for your patience.



No comments:

Post a Comment